Friday, May 8, 2009

Free Will?

God is great! Infinitely greater than you and I. There is nothing He is incapable of. Omnipotent, omnipresent, omni-everything. He is not subject to our ideas of time and logic. He is Holy, as in, set apart, a cut above. He is so far beyond what this pile of meat between my ears will ever be able to comprehend that I have absolutely, positively, no business even trying to explain exactly how He works.

If all these things are true, and God is great beyond human understanding, how incredibly diluted and conceited would I have to be to think my free will is impervious to His influence. There are multiple examples of an override of free will in the old testament. The book of Exodus states, several times, that God "hardened Pharaohs heart to Moses' pleas" so that He may perform miracles (Ex 10:1) Could God not be doing the same thing in our lives and the life of the modern church? Is it so scary to believe that the Author of the universe, who knows better than we ever will, may interfere with the "pure" and "sacred" (insert sarcasm here) lives that we live?

The truth is, I don't know. None of us do for sure. We step out of line when we say that we do. Humility comes when we accept this truth. All I do know is I did not get to this level of faith on my own. There are many times where I felt that a decision was made for me. I did not "find" Jesus, He found me. There is no one on earth that I know better than myself and i'm here to tell you that myself isn't cut out to be a follower of God. Myself is self serving and interested in my well being alone. Myself is an addict. Myself is a liar, a thief, a manipulator, and a sexual deviant. I am not capable of the things He has called me to do. I am not able to be a good husband and father. I would have left years ago. I AM the wretch the song was talking about. I am lost without His constant influence. Without it, they would have found me hanging in that closet.

All i'm really trying to say is, God is bigger than us all. Bigger than our minds and bigger than our ambitions. I know that He is constantly molding me, forming me, to do His will. I also know, in my heart, that He'll do the same for you if you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment